Thursday 9 April 2015

I Feel Like I'm Working For Google

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles, FreeDigitalPhotos.net
For the past few days (well, a week really) I've been busy working away making all my websites "mobile responsive."

This means that they have to be flexible, and morph into shape to fit any screen size from mobile phone to desktop computer.

I have several websites so it's taking me quite some time to do it. So far I've already completed half of my sites (phew! She wipes the virtual sweat from her brow) but it's taking a lot of work and a lot of working out.

The reason I'm doing it is because Google says I have to.

On 21st April 2015 they are bringing in new rules about search results and say that they won't include  non-mobile-responsive websites in their mobile results.

The reason I want keep my rankings in the Google search results, is that for several keywords I'm on page one of search results and for one, at least, I'm number one. (Yay! Go me!)

So this past week of working flat out, and with the pressure from Google, who keep emailing me about my website problems, I feel like I'm working for them. And they are bad payers because I'm not earning more money for all my extra effort and I'm not getting my own work done either.

On the other hand, making my websites mobile responsive is something that I've been thinking about for a while now. Thinking, but not doing anything about it.

But now the pressure is on. I have to get things finished in less than 2 weeks - or else.

And it's not just mobile responsiveness that Google is looking at. They are also concerned about sites with too many broken links amongst other things.

You can read more about Google's new rules at http://www.webpronews.com/things-to-avoid-for-googles-mobile-friendly-update-2015-03.

And if you have websites, or just one website, and you want people with mobile phones to be able to find your site using the search engines, then you'd better make sure it's fluid and that all your pages are completely up-to-date with no issues.

If you have a WordPress site, you need to make sure that you're using a theme that is mobile responsive.

If you're like me and you use HTML static web design, then you need to redesign your site to make it change layout for different media (screen size).

I use Adobe DreamWeaver for all my website designing, except for this blog because it's owned by Google and so they keep the design up to date for me so that they don't break their own rules.

DreamWeaver has built-in "fluid grid" web page software which basically means that when I build a webpage for mobile viewing, the design automatically filters though to the other 2 screen sizes - desktop and tablet. So all I have to do is a bit of tweaking here and there to get my web pages exactly how I want them on all 3 screen sizes, and it can all be done without coding.

But in the meantime, I'm missing being a writer because although web page designing is something I can do (although this type of designing has been quite a bit of a learning curve), it's not my favourite job. That's why I count myself fortunate to be able to use Adobe DreamWeaver software to make the task quicker and easier.

And speaking of which, it's time for me to get back to work and make my web page designs really sing.

Good luck with your own websites.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments