Wednesday 3 January 2018

Write It And Ship It

I was talking to someone a few weeks ago and she was showing me some of her work.

She's really good at writing and drawing and I told her that she should publish graphic novels because her drawings were really good and her stories were incredibly creative and intriguing.

I loved her work.

But she told me that she's too much of a perfectionist to publish any of her work yet, but once she gets it perfect, she'll publish it.

I suggested that she start a free blog and upload some of her artwork to it so that people can see her stuff and she can start a following so that by the time she publishes her first novel, she'll have readers waiting to buy it.

But she told me again that her work isn't yet perfect enough so not ready for the public to see it.

It made me almost sad to see her throwing away such a great opportunity while she waits for something that doesn't exist (perfection) to arrive.

There is a saying in the writing world that, I think, was started by Steve Jobs who said "Real Artists Ship." In this case, shipping means publishing. Putting it out in public where people can see it and criticise it (and they usually do).

It seems that many a creative type of person has a fear of shipping. A fear of someone looking at their work and saying they don't like it.

Well, our work isn't for everyone. Only for those who do like it or who find it useful.

So ignore the rest and when you're writing is good enough, ship it.



The 10 Day Ebook.
Write your ebook in just 10 days and earn $1,000 a month from it. Guaranteed. Or your money back.
http://ruthiswriting.com/links/10dayebook.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments