Tuesday 31 May 2016

What You Need to Do If You Want to Earn Money From Writing

The past couple of weeks has been hectic for me. I was initially busy sorting out all the issues that went along with selling my old website for writers (very long, complicated and drawn out). My new website for writers is at http://ruthiswriting.com (which I only just managed to get online today, and it's still far from being completely ready).

Then just when I thought I was safe to get back to writing, I had a close family member get really sick and she was in hospital for a week. This meant spending time driving to the hospital and back every day and staying most of the day, then getting home and rushing around doing everything that still needed to be done (dog walking, washing, cooking, etc) before catching little sleep and rushing back to the hospital again.

Thankfully it's now all over and she's home again and things are getting back to normal again.

But one thing that I did keep doing was checking my emails every couple of days or so and one thing kept occurring.

Someone was going crazy buying all my writing ebooks and emailing me about how it's not working for them.

Well...it won't work unless they work it.

What I mean by that is that if you want to earn money from your writing, you have to actually do the writing. And plenty of it. Not buy several writing ebooks and courses over a two week period and then complain that they're not working and you're not earning any money.

If you want to be a professional writer AND earn all your income from it, then you have to put in the time and effort to write.

It's easy to think that writing isn't working (and many people think that about me because they see me sitting at home every day and so don't consider it to be 'proper' work).

And it's not a shortcut to being rich either.

But even though it's work, it's somewhat enjoyable work. I say "somewhat" because sometimes when I have a deadline I'm working to, it gets hard to sit and write on days when I simply just don't feel like it.

I guess it's the same as being a doctor in that regard (and boy have I seen a lot of those recently). By that I mean that although people say they want to be a doctor and that it's their dream job, that doesn't mean it's easy for them to do. They still have to work hard and sometimes work long hours. But they'd still rather be doing that for a living than anything else.

And it's the same with writing. You might not always feel like doing it, but it has to be done.

On the plus side, the income is passive so once you've established yourself enough, even when you're not working for a week or two, the income is still there. For instance, over the past couple of weeks, even though I didn't put finger to keyboard that whole time (except to check my emails and respond to my ranting customer), I still managed to sell quite a few ebooks and I received a couple of payments from Amazon for my affiliate money and my book sales.

But writing income doesn't last (or I should say doesn't stay as high) if I don't eventually get back to work and start writing again.

That's because NO BUSINESS can survive without work.

But at least being a writer affords me the opportunity to be self employed and still earn income when I take time off from my job.

The good thing though, is that I'm now more than ready to apply my backside to my chair and get back to writing again, now that I've been away from it so long and life has gotten back to normal.

And anyone who wants to know what the "secret" is to becoming a successful and well-paid writer, it's writing. It's sitting down every day and working.

Buying ebooks and courses won't work unless you follow them and there's no way my ranting customer had time to work through them all in such a short time, especially considering one of the things they bought was The 12 Month Writing Challenge. (I think they didn't understand the words '12 months' and perhaps thought it said '12 minutes').

So if you feel that you've not been doing enough writing recently, then like me you need to sit down and write more.

And that's what I'm going to do right now.

How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments