Wednesday 6 April 2016

Thinking and Thinking Then Changing What I Write About

Thinking Hard
The last few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking about all the writing I do.

And thinking that much is SOOOO hard for me.

The reason for all the thinking is that I'm really not enjoying writing anymore.

Shock! Horror!

But how could that be? I just couldn't work it out.

I'm a writer.

I do a lot of writing.

So why wasn't I loving it anymore?

And then the reason came to me.

I'm not doing the kind of writing I like to do.

I'm bored with blogging and article writing which is what I do mostly because I have other websites in different subjects.

So I made an executive decision.

I'm closing down all my websites except this blog, writeaholics.net and my publishing website Cheriton House Publishing.

Everything else just has to go and some has already gone.

And I feel elated.

But...what am I going to do instead?

Well, I also thought about that a lot too and I finally realised that the kind of writing I enjoy the most is fiction writing.

So, apart from my two writing sites, I'm only going to be writing fiction.

I know that this is what I want to do because it makes me so happy to think about it.

I've been wondering what has been wrong with me for a while now (although some would say the there is plenty wrong with me) and I just couldn't understand why writing had become such a chore.

It was getting harder and harder to sit down and write every day, and I don't usually feel that way, but the last year or two (or longer if I'm honest), writing hasn't been my favourite occupation.

Then I had my Aha! moment and realised that I don't like blogging and writing articles all the time.

What I really want to do is write and publish fiction books and short fiction, which includes submitting stories to magazines.

I think that my epiphany came a couple of weeks ago when I had borrowed some magazines from the library and I was plotting and planning sending in article proposals to them all. I also created a list of fiction markets for this blog without even realising why I must have unconsciously done it.

And that's when it hit me.

I used to enjoy submitting to magazines but I was mostly sending in short stories (and getting them published) and it was all more fun then.

So that is what I'm going to be doing now, as well as writing novels.

So I will keep you updated as I go along and let you know what I'm doing and what is working for me and what isn't and hopefully I'll have more hits than misses with my new fiction writing career, and all my successes will inspire you to write more as well.

And if you fancy becoming a fiction writer too, here are a few places online where I've been looking  for fiction markets today:

JBWB Fiction Markets
http://www.jbwb.co.uk/markets.html

Show Me the $$$! Literary Magazines That Pay
http://thereviewreview.net/publishing-tips/show-me-literary-magazines-pay

esthernewtonblog. Markets For Freelancers
https://esthernewtonblog.wordpress.com/markets-for-freelancers/

that's life! Fast Fiction Guidelines
http://www.thatslife.com.au/fastfictionguidelines

The People’s Friend Guidelines
https://www.thepeoplesfriend.co.uk/guidelines/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments