Tuesday 18 August 2015

The Lumberjack Story And What It Has To Do With Writing


Cutting Broccoli image courtesy of  Mister GC, freedigitalphotos.net
I write about writing.

I write a lot about writing.

I also write about earning money from writing.

I write a lot about earning money from writing.

And one thing I always (well...sometimes) say is that to be able to earn a living from writing takes practice.

"Copy the greats, " I say.

"Find some great writing and copy it out by hand," I say.

"Do a course on writing and earning money," I say.

"Develop a daily writing habit," I say.

Does anyone listen?

Nah. Not everyone.

So let me tell you the story of the two lumberjacks. It goes something like this:

Two lumberjacks decided to see who could cut down the most tree in the shortest time.

The first lumberjack started cutting down trees immediately, but soon tired because of his dull saw.

While he was busy, the second lumberjack sat down and sharpened his saw for 45 minutes.

He then cut down many more trees in less time and with less effort.

And what does this have to do with writing?

Everything.

You need to spend time honing your craft by spending time copying the greats, doing a writing course or two and creating a daily writing habit.

And before you know it, you'll be writing better, faster, and with less effort.

So start writing today.


(No trees were harmed during the writing of this article.)


The 12 Month Writing Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments