Thursday 25 June 2015

How I'm Becoming The Organised Writer

For me, self discipline is the hardest thing about being a writer.

The writing part is easy.

Actually sitting down to do the work in the first place is hard.

It's too easy to be distracted by other things when you're working from home, all alone, with no boss looking over your shoulder telling you what to do.

It's even harder on days when I'm tired or feeling unwell or if I have a project in the garden that I'm dying to get started on.

The way that I've gotten around this problem is by being a highly organised writer.

I have set times every day when I must work, whether I feel like it or not.

That keeps me working to deadlines.

I also have certain writing jobs that need to be done on certain days so I have to keep working during my set times to fit it all in.

I work well this way because if there's no pressure, then I have no motivation to keep going.

Being completely organised also makes it easier to work because I don't have to think of what I have to write because I already know. It's written in my diary.

All I have to do is look in my diary every day to see what needs doing and then I get straight to work.

I also find that the more I write the easier and faster it gets.

Try it for yourself.

You've got nothing to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments